Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Nest Isn't Quite Empty

Our youngest moved to her first apartment on September 1. We helped with the move, which of course took place on a day when the temperature was over 90 degrees. I think there is some sort of law that prohibits moves on days when the temperature ranges between 25 and 85 degrees but I probably will have to look that up.

She has visited us. We have visited her, and a lot of adjusting has been taking place. But I can't say the nest is empty. I keep thinking of the sweatshirt my brother-in-law wore the day after his daughter's wedding. It was emblazoned with the words "The nest isn't empty until their things are out of the basement." At the rate we are going it could take years and years. In fact we may just be carried out of here feet first on some distant day, and leave OUR stuff for the kids to deal with along with their own.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At October 7, 2008 at 1:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dianne,
How funny that you wrote this just as I'm going through lots of my "adult" daughter's junk - deciding what goes and what stays as I "downsize" from house to "guesthouse" (er, garage). I think you're absolutely right about this business of the accumulation of stuff, stuff and more stuff. Of course, I come by it honestly. My father was a big hoarder and consequently, he always had the right part or tool for the job. "Wait a minute, I think I have one of those" he'd mutter, and then disappear into his basement woodshop, emerging with the very thing, held high in victory. Cut to today - fourteen years after his death, and my mom is still clearing out that basement. What an irony that stuff you may not even know you possess has the power to outlive you...

 
At October 15, 2008 at 6:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a bit of an adjustment, isn't it? Our only son moved to Chicago (from Detroit) this summer, and it took me a month or so to get used to his clean bedroom. But we're still finding his stuff all over the place, here and there!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home